Well, I promised you a biscuit recipe to go with the Jambalaya so here it is. I got this recipe from the book "Old Fashioned Home Baking". It's by Better Homes and Garden. I really like this book. Everything I've made from it, turns out really good.
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 T. baking powder
2 t. sugar
1/2 t. cream of tartar
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 c. shortening
2/3 c. buttermilk (or sour milk, just add 2 t. vinegar to your milk and let set
a few minutes, until the milk curdles a little)
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, salt and baking soda. using a pastry blender, cut in shortening till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. make a well in the center of the dry mixture, then add buttermilk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened (do not over mix)
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead the dough by gently folding and prssing the dough for 10-12 strokes or till the dough is mearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll gough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut dough with a floured biscuit cutter, dipping the cutter into flour between cuts
Place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10-12 min. or till biscuits are lightly browned. Remove from baking sheet and serve hot. Makes 10-12 biscuits with a 2 1/2 in cutter.
One little tip I just learned is not to twist the cutter when cutting the dough, just go straight down and then up again. The twisting tends to seal the edges and prevents good rising of the biscuit. Enjoy the recipe!
P.S. I just made some banana bread with a little tweaking of my original recipe and it smells fabulous. If it turns out good, I'll post the recipe. I substituted some oat flour for the white and also some molasses for the white sugar. Should be good.
One thing I have to remember to do is reread my submission before I post it. I was typing without watching every word to try to speed up the process, well, you can see how well that worked. And then I posted it before checking. See how many errors you can find!!
ReplyDelete