Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Sweet Potato Corn Bread

I've had this recipe sitting around for the longest time and had never tried it. It came from allrecipes.com I decided to try it tonight and we absolutely loved it. We really like corn bread but it's hard to find one that's not dry. Well, this one is not and you get the added benefit of sweet potatoes. It doesn't taste like sweet potatoes either. Hope you'll give it a try.

2 c. unbleached flour
2 c. cornmeal
1/2 c. sugar (I'm going to try 1/3c honey next time)
7 t. baking powder
2 t. salt
4 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. milk
1/3 c. canola oil
2 2/3 c. mashed, cooked sweet potatoes

In a large bowl, combine the first five ingred. Set aside. I a small bowl, combine eggs milk, oil and sweet potatoes.(Add the honey here also if you decide to substite)
Stir into the dry ingredients, just until moistened (do not overmix). Pour into a greased 13x9 pan. Bake at 425 degrees for approx 30 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cut into squares, serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. I think this makes quite a thick piece of cornbread and it may take longer to get the center done. I usually make a smaller recipe for just the two of us. I like the way it comes out with honey and you can add some flax seed to make it even healthier. Also, I actually use yams and not sweet potatoes as I like their flavor better and they are more colorful.

    ReplyDelete