Thursday, January 14, 2010

Pumpkin bread, a little healthier

I was looking for a pumpkin bread recipe to use up some extra canned pumpkin and ran across one on Joyofbaking.com but it has a cream cheese filling, and lots of sugar and butter in it. I'm trying to "health things up" so I made some changes and miraculously, it turned out great. So I hope you'll try it and let me know what you think.

2 c. white, unbleached flour
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
4 large eggs (you could try some egg substitute but I didn't have any)
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. molasses
1/2 - 1c. applesauce (I used this as a sub for all the butter, it came out a little
moister than I wanted so I'm going to use 1/2c instead of 1c.)
1 15oz. can pumpkin
1/2 c. soy milk (you can use whatever milk you have)
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 loaf pans (9x5x3) with non-stick spray.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, add the sugar, molasses and applesauce. Stir in the pumpkin, milk, vanilla and nuts.
Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir just until the ingredients are combined, do not overbeat.
Pour into the loaf pans and bake for about 55-65 minutes. You may want to cover with foil for the last 20 min. or so. It can get very dark if not covered.
Test doneness with a toothpick. Cool on a wire rack for 10 min. Remove from pan and continue to cool on the rack. This bread freezes well so you can individually wrap slices and freeze for you to take out for breakfast or lunch later.

No comments:

Post a Comment